Friday, August 08, 2008

00278 Cameras, strobes & lenses

I don't usually post up links just for the hell of it, but Strobist has really got me thinking that I might like to start taking image capture a little more seriously - if only because years working on film sets never really taught me about the magical world of "painting with light". This seems to be a good place to start and the "101" he's got going is making me think of buying a strobe, stand and 'brella. The only downside is that I like my photos to be a little more spontaneous and however you slice it, you're going to have to put a bit more time onto setting up before shooting. On the other hand Mr Strobist does point out that there are more important things than lighting and that an open mind is key.

Two nice phrases I never came across before (perhaps I need to get out more):

"To a hammer, everything looks like a nail" - about keeping an open mind

and

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" - on the benefits of repetitive practice in setting up.

Love it, Strobist.

Which leads me onto cameras. D300 or D700. Like I can chose which one. It seems that there's a debate running as to whether there's a debate to be had. It's simple, either you fall into one camp or the other, or you fall into both (or none). Oh. hang on, that's not simple at all.
Fotunately fiscal pressures leave me with no choice anyway, so that's handy

No comments:

Post a Comment